I have found that many drama watchers first started watching with Coffee Prince, or at least it was the second, or part of the first pack. For me it was the same; the first Asian drama I ever watched was, Goong. From there I jumped to dramas with Yoon Eun Hye and I liked all of them, especially The Vineyard Man; Oh Man Suck was love at first scene. From there I jumped to dramas with him, and the list goes on like that more or less, until I felt I was experienced enough to pick dramas I didn’t know the actor, had never heard of the story, or that were simply just out of the pack… and still be confident that I would like them. Of course, there were those that failed, and there were those that made me want to throw shoes at the screen… and then I met the dramatards, and I my days of drama solitude ended. But that is for another post.
Coffee Prince is such a perfect drama in all levels that it became the type of drama to open the door for many drama lovers, but what comes after it? Many have been disappointed with their picks… so grab your coffee and follow us, while we help you pick your next obsession. 😉
Asian dramas that are like Coffee Prince, and then some…
– The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince, romcom with the “unconventional female lead”, cross-dressing element, about a group of baristas making it happened at a coffee shop. Under the surface, it touches issues like homosexuality. You might like the upcoming Taiwanese drama, Happy Michelin Kitchen, because it has been mentioned to be like Coffee Prince with a few differences. In addition, you might like the two other Taiwanese dramas of the Happy trilogy: Happy & Love Forever, and Sunny Happiness
Romcoms with cross-dressing elements/subjects on homosexuality
– Hana Kimi (read about it); if you like this, you might like Yankee kun to Megane chan, because of the same school like atmosphere, and the students going through everyday life events.
– Personal Taste
– Sungkyunkwan Scandal
– Ouran High School
– You Are Beautiful
Romcoms with “unconventional female leads” and a few other things might apply 😉
– My Name is Kim Sam-Soon
– Hello! My Teacher; if you like this you might like GTO, because in both the character wishes to be a teacher but lacks the ability, so its assigned the most troubled classroom in the school. You might also like: Gokusen, and Hammer Session.
– Mee Too, Flower (read our review)
– Attention Please
– Prosecutor Princess; if you like this, you might like Take Care of The Young Lady because of the same bratty princess like main lead, and both have a man that helps them out but have an agenda of their own
– Secret Garden; if you like this drama, you might like Proposal Daisakusen, and My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, because the three have supernatural elements surrounding the main leads.
Romcoms with reverse harem elements/about “shops”
– Flower Boy Ramen Shop
– Lunch Queen
– Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henche; if you like Yamato, you might like Mei-chan no Suitsuji, and also Nobuta wo Produce, because of the same tomboyish/weird like female and the boys that turn her into a lady.
– Ouran High School (it also has reverse harem elements)
Follow our series of recommendations with the next list, Dramas like Goong!!
This has been a collaboration by The Dramatards 🙂